So, Tim and I chatted about it last night and decided the best thing to do would be to start immediately! That way there's no time to "stock up" before hand. So we came up with our rules and it starts NOW! No new clothes, household goods, toys, tools, makeup, salon services, gourmet foods, restaurants, etc!
1. Buy Nothing New period lasts from July 23rd to August 31st at midnight.
2. Groceries may be bought, but only essentials, no luxuries or prepared foods. (i.e. cookies and frozen pizza are out, flour, butter, sugar, chocolate, cheese, and tomatoes to make cookies and pizza are in!). No going out to eat either! OR coffee runs!
3. Basic hygiene and cleaning products are ok, but makeup, salon services, etc are not (with the exception of Tim's haircut ever other week -- it's technically part of his uniform).
4. Going out cannot cost money, with one exception: Harry Potter is coming to our theater on base next week and we've been waiting a LONG time for it! So at $2.50 each for Tim and I, we are "splurging"...but no popcorn or soda!!!
5. Any prescription or non-prescription products for health reasons are ok to buy.
6. Any car repairs are ok.
7. Postage costs are ok! As are any communication costs (phone and internet).
8. Obviously, we will pay our bills as well!
9. Any thing that comes up that doesn't fit into these categories must only be bought used, free, bartered for or borrowed!
Luckily, Bennet started potty training a few weeks ago, so he's out of diapers, and Jude is breastfed and in cloth diapers, so we don't have to worry about those expenses. I do foresee a few challenges though! Namely the pampered chef party I'm hosting next week and the fact that I am going to be an aunt sometime within the next few weeks!
I'll try to update once in awhile on our progress. I'm actually kind of excited about it! I'm a wee bit of a shopper and I really think that being restricted will open up a whole new world or cost-free hobbies and fun to us!